A family lawyer is a trained professional who specializes in areas such as divorce, domestic violence and adoption. They aim to harmonize family problems, or if needed, they can start legal procedures against a partner. There are many different types of family lawyers available, so knowing which one to choose can be overwhelming. This article provides a step by step guide on how to find the best family lawyers in Newcastle.
1. Work out exactly why you want to hire a lawyer. This is helpful, because you may want a lawyer to specialize in the problem you are dealing with. For example, if you want to file for divorce, it may be worth seeking out a specialist divorce lawyer.
2. Start by searching online. Open up your search engine, and type in keywords such as ‘family lawyers Newcastle’ or ‘local law firms’ and see what results come up. Click on some of the top links, and make a note of any of the websites that you like the look of.
3. Search in a physical directory for family lawyers located in the Newcastle area. Again, make a note of the firms that interest you.
4. Now it’s time to narrow down your list. Here are some simple questions you can ask:
How long has the firm been established for?
What type of legal cases do they represent?
What percentage of cases do they win?
It is also worth getting some recommendations, to ensure they are a reputable firm. Ask for some references, or client testimonials. Alternatively, you can search online for independent reviews.
5. Once you have narrowed down your list to 2 or 3 firms, you can start asking about costs. To do this, make an appointment in person, or ask to speak to a family law specialist on the phone. Ask them what their costs and payment terms are.
6. Select the family law firm that is most suited to your needs and your budget. Remember to get the costs all written in a legal document, so you aren’t left with any nasty surprises at the end of the settlement.
For those times when you need to call in family lawyers Newcastle has a wealth of options, but few as experienced as Riley Langdon Solicitors. Visit www.rileylangdon.co.uk for family and property lawyers Newcastle.