The soaring costs of energy are causing homeowners all across the country to rethink their home heating requirements. Solar panels for home are now widely available. This can be a practical way for you to get involved in more sustainable and cost effective sources of domestic energy.
What are Solar Panels?
Solar panels for the home are typically designed on the photovoltaic (PV) principle. These panels use photovoltaic cells to absorb energy from the sun’s rays and convert it into electricity. It doesn’t even have to be full sunlight for solar panels for the home to work. Even on overcast days PV panels can still generate some sustainable electricity for properties. This can be used to run heating systems, lighting and appliances.
- PV panel outputs are measured in kilowatts peak (kWp).
- This is the rate at which the panels can generate electricity at peak performance times.
- PV panels come in a range of sizes and kWp so you do need to choose the most appropriate system for your individual circumstances.
Benefits of Solar Panels
There are many advantages to investing in solar panels for home.
- One of the most important benefits is that it reduces your reliance on unsustainable fuel.
- A large percentage of the electricity provided nationally is still derived from fossil fuel sources.
- You can reduce your impact on the environment and help to ease the burden on electrical resources by fitting your own solar panels for home.
- Solar fuel is renewable and doesn’t result in pollutants such as carbon dioxide (CO2). With a solar panel system installed in your home you could significantly reduce your CO2 footprint.
- You can also get paid for any electricity you can generate from your PV panels that gets fed back into the National Grid.
- The UK government is currently offering a Feed-In tariff to encourage people to invest in solar panels for home. Figures show this could offer you the potential to earn over £600 per year (based on proposed tariff of 21p/kWh).
- Selling the electricity you don’t need yourself can be a great way to maximise the potential of your PV panels.
If you want to make more positive choices for your energy supplies then you should consider solar panels for home. PV panels can generate green sustainable electricity to supply your property.